Thursday, November 27, 2008

Getting my hands on Drupal

If you happened to visit CodeTRAX, my (at the moment) personal software publishing spot, during the last two months, you would have noticed that I’ve started using Drupal on that website. My alternative options had been WordPress and a custom CMS based on Django, but I finally rejected both and I am glad I did so. Although I like WordPress, which I proudly use on G-Loaded, it cannot be compared to the flexibility and maturity of Drupal. I am sure it will get there some day, but there are many things that need to be changed in the organization of this project until it becomes as serious as Drupal is.

On the other hand, after trying Django for about 2-3 days during the last summer, I realized that this is far from what I was actually looking for. I recall that at some point I had felt like trying to re-invent the wheel. Well, Django is not a CMS. It’s a framework. I should have known better! CodeTRAX is not just about content. It is about the integration of different software: a CMS, bug trackers for projects, project wikis, download center, notification system, community-based support forums, statistics. In order to build all this around an open source CMS you need the best available open source CMS; and I think this is Drupal.

Read More..

No comments: